Sunday 12 July 2015

A failure of systems thinking

The critique of systems thinking has some truth to it. 

A big problem is that a lot of time and effort goes in to just explaining the underlying principles. An example given in this Fast Company article shows that it can take 3 days or more to train managers and leaders on systems thinking. In many cases, the application comes later. This can be frustrating for practitioners.

In my work, I often train practitioners in systems thinking for market development. I mainly train practitioners in developing countries whose projects are funded by international aid agencies and donor funds. I work in Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean. These are some the tactics I have used.

"I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn." - Albert Einstein

Firstly, good systems training should allow practitioners to be comfortable with the language. The didactic approach doesn't work. People don't learn by being preached at and being told what they must know. So, at certain points, I provide space for the practitioners to reflect on the language. I allow practitioners to ask questions of common labels, such as 'counter-intuitiveness' and 'feedback loops'. I also allow room for re-wording and I give participants ownership of the lexicon.

Secondly, as a trainer, I am helping to re-energise and re-configure the mindset of practitioners to be able to practice systems thinking in actual projects. I help participants make those mental connections and I provide as many opportunities as possible to apply systems principles. I do this through appropriate case studies, stories, quotes, project briefs. I also provide lots of opportunities for discussion, analysis, and reflection.

Thirdly, as learners, we find it generally better to try out new ideas as we go along. What I like to do is couch training within a practical part of a project - a market study, a partners assessment, a strategy review, etc. I try to avoid having systems training as a disconnected piece either before a project, during a project as a response to a donor demand or as an afterthought as a posthumous project review. I try to be principled with the principles by offering the opportunity to dive deeply into specific principles. I provide an overview and then focus on certain key ideas, and I layer in opportunities for practical application as part of the training. The aim to to help participants get a specific piece of the project done. And still maintain the perspective of a systems thinker.

LESSONS LEARNED — WHY THE FAILURE OF SYSTEMS THINKING SHOULD INFORM THE FUTURE OF DESIGN THINKING BY June 7, 2009, available at www.fastcompany.com/1291598/lessons-learned-why-failure-systems-thinking-should-inform-future-design-thinking